You are here
Publish from B2DROP to B2SHARE
The document discusses use of the B2DROP service to publish digital objects to B2SHARE.
Modified: 03 February 2017
After processing data and working collaboratively on data in B2DROP, you might want to publish certain ﬁles and make them accessible and citeable by the world-wide research community. To this end B2DROP and B2SHARE are connected via a bridge. In your B2DROP account you have the possibility to mark data for publication in B2SHARE. The other way around, fetching data from B2DROP when working on the B2SHARE WebUI is also supported. In the following we explain how you can create data publications from data stored in B2DROP by pushing ﬁles to B2SHARE.
Enabling B2DROP-B2SHARE connection
B2DROP uses the B2SHARE API to create deposits and to enable the user to publish data in B2SHARE. To employ the B2SHARE API on behalf of the user he needs to provide a B2SHARE API token.
- Login to B2DROP
- Click on your username –> “Personal”
- Scroll down to EUDAT B2SHARE Bridge or select it from the list on the left of the page
- Login to the B2SHARE instance listed here
- Click on your username –> “Proﬁle” and go to the section API tokens
- Choose a name for your token and click on “New Token”
- Copy the token to your clipboard. Note, you will never be able to retrieve this token again from B2SHARE.
- Go back to your B2DROP account
- Again, click on your username –> “Personal”
- Scroll down to EUDAT B2SHARE Bridge
- Paste your token here and click on “Save B2SHARE API Token”
Figure 1. Upload your B2SHARE token to B2DROP.
- Go back to the ﬁle view by clicking on “Personal” –> folder icon in the upper left corner
Figure 2. B2DROP views.
Publish a single ﬁle
Publishing data from B2DROP is a two-step process. First you create a so-called deposit in B2SHARE. Then you ﬁnalise the deposit by adding metadata through the B2SHARE WebUI.
Create deposit in B2SHARE
- Click on … of the ﬁle you want to publish. This will open a drop-down menue. Click on B2SHARE.
Figure 3. Opening the B2SHARE bridge.
- Select the metadata template (community) under which you would like to publish the data. Note that once you have sent the ﬁle for publication to B2SHARE you cannot change the metadata template again.
Figure 4. Choose the metadata template.
- After selecting the correct metadata template click on “publish”.
- If you click on “Files” in the upper left corner and select the view “B2SHARE” you will ﬁnd a list of all your deposits in B2SHARE issued from B2DROP.
- If the button "publish" is not active and stays grey, you need to check wether your B2SHARE token is installed properly
- The ﬁles are submitted to B2SHARE by the system about every 5 to 10 minutes. So it might take some time until your deposits get marked as "published"
- If there are too many pending uploads for you, publishing is also disabled
Publish the deposit
Once your data deposit is marked as "published" (see step 4 above), click on "URL2. This will open the deposit page in B2SHARE. Here you are asked to complete the metadata information. You can also add more data from your local computer to the deposit or other data from B2ROP (wee Section below). When you are ﬁnished, tick the box "Submit draft for publication" and click on "Save and Publish".
Figure 5. Publish your data in B2SHARE.
Publish a data collection
Publishing several data ﬁles in one record in B2SHARE is currently only supported from the B2SHARE side. I.e. it is currently not possible to mark several ﬁles in B2DROP and create a deposit. To publish several ﬁles from B2DROP ﬁrst create a deposit by pushing a single data ﬁle to B2SHARE (as shown above) or by creating a “Draft Record” in B2SHARE (click on “Create a new record”). To connect to B2DROP click on “Add B2DROP ﬁles”, provide your username and password and click on the arrow next to the password.
Figure 6. Add files from B2DROP to a deposit in B2SHARE.
Figure 7. Connecting to B2DROP from B2SHARE.
Select all ﬁles you would like to deposit under one record in B2SHARE, as shown below, then click on "Copy selected ﬁles to B2SHARE".
Figure 8. Select files in B2DROP.
Proceed with ﬁlling in you metadata, then publish.
Figure 9. B2SHARE artifact uplaoded from B2DROP.
Support for B2DROP is available via the EUDAT ticketing system through the webform.
If you have comments on this page, please submit them though the EUDAT ticketing system.
Benedikt von St. Vieth, firstname.lastname@example.org
Christine Staiger, email@example.com
Kostas Kavoussanakis, firstname.lastname@example.org